Song of the Day: The Floesist and the Songstress

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The saddest thing about this Song of the Day? Floetry broke up in 2007. 

Floetry...my definition of neo-soul, besides Erykah of course. Marsha Ambrosious (The Songstress) is pretty much unbelievable and Natalie Stewart (The Floetsist) is just dope. And I mean they're from London...how can you not love them? I was walking around campus the other day listening to my iPod and this song, Floetic, came on shuffle. Obviously, my mood brightened up immediately, probably because I didn't even know I had their album on my iPod at all. I absolutely love everything about Floetry, especially the fact that they do spoken word poetry together. I can't remember what season of Def Poetry Jam this is from, but I definitely know I have it on DVD (so it's either season 1,2,4 or 5) and I've watched it enough to sing along with Marsha while completely disregarding anyone around me. I'm sure they enjoy my lovely voice anyways.

Side note, someone told me the other day that I have the perfect voice for jazz or blues (a very nice way of saying you have kind of a deep, raspy voice for a woman). Too bad I can't hold a note without my voice cracking. Puberty will hit soon enough...

Anywho, the poem is called "Fantasize" and it's easily one of my favorites. This back-and-forth, overlapping kind of spoken word is my favorite style. More poems performed in twos coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger