Excursions: Digging Day

Saturday, June 30, 2012



As I've mentioned in the past, I love digging for records and I think record collecting is one of the best hobbies out there. Some of the best record stores I've ever come across reside in Brooklyn, New York (I'm aware that I've been spending a bit of time in BK) and the ones I went to on Monday were no different. Although Brian, my friend Alex, and I ventured to a total of 3 record stores, Dope Jams is unfortunately closed on Mondays, meaning we awkwardly stood outside of the locked door staring inside. However, the ones we actually made it to -- Academy Records and Fool's Gold -- made the trip totally worth it. 

Academy Record's entrance.
Academy Record's Front Desk

The Listening Station







I've recently discovered that this is their best song. 100% fact. 
The Jam.
Academy Records is honestly like a second home to Brian; he makes the trip from the Bronx to Bedford in Brooklyn at least once a week during the school year. I call that dedication -- especially on a  poor man/college student's budget. Academy Records has an eclectic collection of records, LPs CDs, and even Showtime's Dexter Season 2 on DVD (best show ever). From hip-hop to rock to soul, Academy seems to have a little something for all kinds of music-heads and hipsters alike. Well, the hipster thing is a given; it's smack dab in the middle of Williamsburg. 

Our following visit to Fool's Gold Records was a new adventure for all of us, and us smartphone carriers had no problem getting there. 
Sidenote: I will never understand how anyone functioned without the invention of the smartphone. It really makes no sense to me. But that's a different discussion and blog post for a different day.
I'm not gonna lie, I thought the place was going to be a lot bigger than what it was. But then again, it is a Brooklyn-based record label that not only just founded in 2007, but its also an independent record label that sells records and items strictly from its label as well as their crew of artists and friends. The label was started by DJ Nick Catchdubs and legendary DJ A-Trak who you may also know as 1/2 of the DJ duo Duck Sauce. My friend Alex loves A-Trak so he obviously left the store with this pretty sweet hat. 


All in all, Monday was a great day of record digging AND picture taking! Alex taught us how to use Daisy properly and now we practically feel like professional photographers. Look out for a post of a mini-gallery of Daisy's new and improved pictures as well as the first post of the Artist Spotlight series featuring Alexander Raymond Photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger