Indian Style Family Dinner + Onion Chutney Recipe

Wednesday, January 11, 2012











My best friends and I have a tradition where we all get together and cook for each other and we call this little love fest "family dinner". For my 20th birthday, we did a family dinner where they mostly cooked for me, and Brian and I made appetizers (he made an amazing guacamole and I made sweet onion chutney for the first time...recipe after the jump!). My birthday was almost an Indian style dinner with Chana and Chicken Tikki Masala and the Onion Chutney served with Naan bread...but I guess guacamole and a roasted portabello mushroom salad doesn't exactly scream Indian food. Either way, dinner was amazing and my friends/boyfriend are all amazing in the kitchen.

















The red dish being scooped up is the sweet onion chutney and if you're brave enough to try and make it yourself, here is the recipe...

on a side note, I don't necessarily cook to exact measurements. I just kind of throw everything together...so yea. But honestly, just have fun with it and it'll turn out more than fine.


sweet onions (finely chopped)
tomato paste (Ketchup works too!)
genourous amount of paprika 
cumin powder
corriander
oil
sugar
salt to taste
        Throw everything but the onions together in a 
pan/pot/cooking device over medium heat  while
adding more spices and sugar as needed. When I say
that, I mean until you can 't really  stop tasting  it, 
and at this point you can remove the mixture into a
bowl where you mix it with your onions and chill  the
chutney. Then serve and enjoy! Yay Indian food! 

Why did I add this? Um, this was desert. Caramel Apple Tart with a Vanilla Custard.  Yea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger