Throwback Thursday x Song of the Day: Thievin'

Thursday, April 18, 2013

"hiding like thieves in the night, illusions of oasis making you look twice"

If I could ever make a "Top 10 Song of All Time" list -- which will probably never happen because I have a phobia towards meaningless commitments -- I'm almost positive (see?) that this song would be on there. On probably one of the most classic hip-hop albums of all time, Blackstar's "Thieves in the Night" has some of the most innovative, creative, and intellectual lyrics in hip-hop, if not music in general. Their album Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Blackstar is actually full of songs with mind provoking lyrics, such as "Astronomy (8th Light)" that makes reference to the Fibonacci series of numbers or "Respiration" which actually has so many metaphors and allusions that I can't seem to pick out the best one. Brian and I were fortunate enough to see these two perform at Rock the Bells a couple of years ago and perform this iconic album in full, so needless to say that was one of the greatest moments of my entire life. For now, I'll reminisce about the time I saw greatness perform right in front of me by listening to this song.
On Repeat.
All day.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger